Investment Analyst, Hardware
Anzu Partners is an investment firm that focuses on industrial and life science technology companies with the potential to transform their industries. We team with entrepreneurs to develop and commercialize technological innovations by providing capital and deep expertise in business development, market positioning, global connectivity, and operations.
Anzu manages approximately $1 billion in capital commitments, and we have developed a robust team of investment professionals, technical specialists, and operational support to drive results for our 25+ portfolio companies. In 2016, we launched Anzu Industrial Capital Partners, our first venture equity fund, to invest in North American-based private industrial technology companies with approximately $128m in committed capital. In 2019, we launched our second industrial and life science technology fund, Anzu Industrial Capital Partners II, with $190m in committed capital and an expanded set of institutional investors. In early 2020, we launched our growth capital fund, Anzu RBI Preferred Mezzanine and became a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). In 2022, we closed our third fund with more than $200M in committed capital.
While Anzu Partners focuses primarily on the United States and Canada, we have invested in companies with substantial operations in Europe, Singapore, and Australia. Our portfolio includes companies that have achieved breakthroughs in the physical sciences, engineering the world’s first high performance rare-earth free permanent magnets for sustainable electrification, and the life sciences, such as developing the highest resolution single-cell gene sequencing solution for understanding diseases and discovering treatments.
Our companies deliver strong returns for our investors, whether through public listing via IPO or acquisition by larger industrial players such as Siemens, and drive discoveries that improve our world.
Anzu Partners has offices in Boston, MA, San Diego, CA, Washington, DC, Atlanta, GA, and Tampa, FL.
About the role
Anzu is looking for an Analyst to join our Investment Team who will be responsible for both portfolio and investment support. The candidate will primarily be responsible for supporting existing portfolio companies as they commercialize and scale, with additional opportunity for performing due diligence, market research, and uncovering promising new startups powered by unique technology.
You will have the ability to work with the leadership at breakthrough industrial tech and life sciences start-ups across our portfolio, alongside the investment team, gaining direct exposure to the early-stage venture capital ecosystem. In this role, you will predominantly support our portfolio companies on a broad range of functional areas – product development, commercialization, and operations, amongst others.
You will work with the high-tech companies in our portfolio, such as Arduino (open-source hardware pioneer), Encharge AI (developing advanced AI accelerators), Liquid Instruments (software-defined engineering instrumentation), among others.
The position is based out of our San Diego office and reports directly to a Partner.
- Develop strategies including commercial (e.g., product, channels, pricing, etc.), marketing, and operations for new and existing products and services.
- Analyze product fit to the target market and any potential adjustments needed.
- Leverage market data to create organized slide decks.
- Support due diligence efforts for prospective investments (e.g., assess business plans, conduct market scans and competitive analyses, help build financial models, and prepare investment memoranda) and contribute to managing the investment pipeline.
- Technology landscaping to uncover new trends and gaps in AI, renewable energy, materials science, and industrial processes
- Support investment operations activities for the investment team such as venture capital fund planning and analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or hardware engineering, or related areas
- 2-4 years of industry experience, early-stage or startup company experience preferred, with experience working on or developing hardware.
- Be a “Swiss army knife” with the ability to quickly learn new technologies and industries using a strong technical foundation.
- Strong personal drive and ability to operate independently when needed.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including written, oral, and digital.
- Excellent analytical capabilities, including Excel and PowerPoint, and ability to synthesize complex information and succinctly communicate it to different audiences.
- Intellectual curiosity about and/or direct experience working in the industrial tech space.