Director of Engineering
BioFlyte is introducing a disruptive new class of fieldable bio threat detection and identification solutions to significantly counter bioterrorism and other biohazards to save lives and protect business operations at the point-of-need. Our product portfolio includes Critical Infrastructure Protection configurations for cross-market segment use as well as a customized package for Mail Screening applications. Our focus is on both the Commercial and Federal sectors. BioFlyte is seeking motivated individuals to join our team in building and scaling our company as we move from pre- production to broader commercialization.
The Director of Engineering will drive success of BioFlyte’s core products and integrated solutions with a focus on coordinating system engineering of the electromechanical product, firmware and software integration, system integration, data management and algorithm development. As a member of the firm’s management team, this position will lead the Engineering group and report directly to the Vice President, Product to ensure the successful creation, delivery, and support of product solutions that meet/exceed customer requirements.
This role will own hardware, software, and cloud development activities. Duties are to be performed onsite at the BioFlyte headquarters in Albuquerque, NM. Travel to customer sites, partners, and various industry conferences/events may be required.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead all hardware, firmware, and software engineering development for BioFlyte’s suite of bioaerosol detection products
- Lead, mentor, and provide expertise in the design, development, verification, and implementation of system engineering designs, test methodologies, and manufacturing processes while balancing design, risk, schedule, and budget to ensure a high level of product performance and reliability
- Be a hands-on systems engineer including designing, building, and testing product improvements and new product development projects
- Represent Engineering at Product Steering Committee meetings to assess new product opportunities, strategically prioritize product goals, and work with Product to translate product requirements into prioritized engineering projects
- Implement best practices and emerging data technologies for data engineering, data integration, data modeling, data governance, and data security to ensure the product is flexible, scalable, and secure with a high level of performance
- Implement industry related regulatory global compliance development initiatives, technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices
- Work closely with other departments to support ongoing tasks and projects, coordinating efforts as needed to achieve project deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in system engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or software engineering
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of experience in product engineering and instrument development with leadership roles
- Experience in integrated instrument development with software and firmware - ideally in mass spectrometry or other high-resolution analytical instrumentation. Other areas of interest include high-vacuum solutions, actuators and robotics, dispensing systems, and cloud management solutions
- Hands-on design experience with complicated electro-mechanical designs, including but not limited to: Solidworks, PCBA CAD layout, system integration, and validation and reliability testing (ORT, HASS, HALT)
- Experience in regulatory compliance and equipment development for environments including – but not limited to - medical or healthcare, government, finance, and automotive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present complex information clearly and concisely to engineering and non-engineering audiences
- Documented and demonstrable experience in technical and project leadership roles
- $175,000 base salary