e-Zinc is an energy storage venture based in Toronto with a breakthrough technology poised to disrupt the market. As the global energy grid moves to higher levels of penetration of renewable energy, there will be an exponential increase in demand for low-cost, flexible, long-duration energy storage. This is the market targeted by e-Zinc, the first in the world to “metalize” electricity.
e-Zinc is on an incredible trajectory, which is illustrated by many significant funding and award milestones that recognize its unique technology and strong business plan, including:
- Recently closed a $30M Series A financing (Dec 2021)
- Named to the Global Cleantech 100 as one of the top 100 most promising cleantech companies across the world
- Won a $1.6M grant through Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Won a $2M grant from Sustainable Technology Development Canada
- Won a USD $1.3M grant through California Energy Commission
Now that the company is well-capitalized, e-Zinc is now looking to expand its talented team to bring its technology to market to support the renewable energy transformation.
e-Zinc is searching for an experienced and talented Controller to lead the day-to-day accounting operations of the Company. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and expertise in accounting operations and controls in a growing organization. Based out of Etobicoke, Ontario, this role will be one of the first within the department and be an integral part of the team. Reporting to the CFO, this role will be responsible for all aspects of our accounting operations and ensuring the accuracy and integrity of our financial reporting including its US subsidiary.
Position Scope & Responsibilities:
- Manage accounting operations including day to day operations and reporting
- Lead month-end and year-end close ensuring accurate and timely delivery of results
- Manage monthly reporting including income statements, balance sheet, cash flows and supporting account reconciliations
- Lead annual financial audit and liaison with external auditors and tax accountants to complete respective engagements
- Preparing cash forecast to optimally manage dual currency and coordinate with banking relationships accordingly
- Prepare reporting associated with grant awards, debt covenant compliance as needed
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Continual development of financial policies and processes
- Ensure insurance coverage meets the needs of the business and manage relationship with various insurance carriers and brokers.
- Manage day-to-day relationship with various vendors and 3rd parties to ensure the day-to-day function of the business, including all physical locations.
- Manage, mentor and develop growing accounting team to support business
- Other ad-hoc duties as needed
Professional qualifications and skills
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Proven minimum 5+ years of progressive experience leading accounting operations in a hardware or manufacturing-oriented Company
- CPA designation preferred
- Solid understanding of GAAP standards, procedures and practices
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with ability to effectively collaborate with stakeholders at all levels
- Proven ability to develop and strengthen systems and processes
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel and Microsoft Office skills a must
- Proven experience with an accounting system
- High level of integrity and ethical standards with the ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to motivate and lead team members in alignment to our core values and goals
Studies show that individuals in underrepresented groups tend to not apply for roles if they feel they do not meet all the listed criteria. If you find you are passionate about a role and meet a good portion of the items listed, we encourage you to apply!
At e-Zinc we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where we consider, celebrate, and embrace diversity. We thrive in an environment of mutual respect and welcome all applicants.