Principal Motor Design Engineer
Niron Magnetics is a venture-backed start-up developing the only known magnetic material with the potential to displace widely used rare earth permanent magnets. These rare earth permanent magnets are found in electric motors, generators, sensors, actuators, and a variety of everyday machines. They are critical to the green economy. Unfortunately, the mining and refining of these materials incur harsh social and environmental costs. Further, reliance on rare earths represents a strategic supply chain risk, vulnerable to geopolitical interference and projected supply shortages.
Niron’s Clean Earth Magnet® is free of critical materials (including rare earth elements), which eliminates the environmental damage caused by their use. It is made up of abundant, commodity inputs enabling a secure supply chain. Niron is comprised of a team of engineers, scientists, and business leaders with a desire to make a positive impact in our community.
Niron is supported by both the U.S. Department of Energy and the Department of Defense. Strategic investors include Volvo Cars and Western Digital Capital. Financial investors include Anzu Partners and Artiman Ventures. We are growing our team as we commercialize the Clean Earth Magnet®.
About the Position
Niron has developed and is commercializing the first novel magnetic material in over 40 years. As with any new material, it unlocks new possibilities in device design.
As Motor Control Engineer, you will be pioneering novel electric machine designs that unlock the full potential of a new-to-the-world material. This will be done primarily by developing designs via simulation that are optimized for the unique properties of Iron Nitride-based Clean Earth Magnets. The designs will meet and exceed the performance specifications of existing solutions used by Niron’s customers, which include Top 5 companies in industrial motors, speakers, electric vehicles, consumer appliances, and the full spectrum of magnet-using industries. The focus of work for this position will be on designing electric motors for various end-use applications, with an initial focus on industrial motors.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Conceptualize, design, and simulate proof-of-concept motors with Niron’s proprietary Clean Earth Magnets
- Select and manage external motor design firms and academic partnerships in support of the above
- Select and manage specialty motor prototyping vendors to develop and test physical prototypes from designs
- Collaborate closely with the magnet development team to inform the interplay between magnet properties and device performance
- Join calls with customer engineering teams to understand the requirements for device performance and provide guidance on their approach to designing with Clean Earth Magnets
- Create documentation such as application notes, instruction manuals, and technical documents to guide the technical work of a broader set of customers
- Collaborate with Niron’s IP experts and legal team to secure patents on your design innovations
In fulfilling these responsibilities, you will work primarily with Niron’s Senior Director of Strategy and Business Development. The position will be most compelling for those with an interest in clean technology, hardware innovation, and high-growth start-ups.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field, with advanced degree (M.S.) preferred
- 5-10 years of hands-on electric machine design experience encompassing magnetics, mechanical packaging, and manufacturing – industrial motor design experience a plus
- Expertise with Electromagnetic Finite Element Analysis
- Experience with application-based Motor design software tools (e.g., COMSOL, Motor-CAD – the successful candidate will have opportunity to select tools of their choice)
- Experience managing external vendors for custom motor projects
- Experience or familiarity with various motor topologies (e.g., IPM, PMa-SynRM, VFMMs)
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Effective written and verbal communication skills that adapt to the audience (e.g., internal vs. customers)
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Equity position in Niron
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Mental healthcare
- Life insurance, long and short term disability
- Experience in a venture backed start-up
For more information on Niron:
· Website: https://nironmagnetics.com/
· Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5pMEmk3CmU