Equipment Engineer, Chemical
Niron Magnetics is a venture-backed start-up developing the only known magnetic material with the potential to displace widely used rare earth permanent magnets. These rare earth permanent magnets are found in electric motors, generators, sensors, actuators, and a variety of everyday machines. Unfortunately, the mining and refining of these materials incur harsh social and environmental costs.
Niron Magnetics has developed a magnetic material that is free of critical materials (including rare earth elements), which eliminates the environmental damage caused by their use. Niron is comprised of a team of engineers and scientists with a desire to make a positive impact in our community.
About the Position
The individual hired for this position will support Niron’s Equipment and Facilities Manager with the management of two facilities and the equipment therein. This person will be a member of a team responsible for Niron’s R&D facility, Pilot facility, and the maintenance and upgrading of equipment.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Support new process equipment installations at both the R&D Industrial Lab and Pilot facility, including supporting standard commissioning steps such as placement, hookups, and basic functional testing. Niron equipment covers a wide range of equipment disciplines such as high vacuum, metallurgy, particle metallurgy, magnetic alignment, chemistry, and advanced analytical equipment, as an example.
- Support new facilities equipment and system installations at both the R&D Industrial Lab and Pilot facility, including chemical and gas delivery systems (physical plant), security, HVAC, fire protection and all other building management and life safety systems.
- Equipment owner for the abatement and neutralization systems responsible for setup, method development, SOP, and maintenance. This equipment is used to abate exhausted ammonia and hydrogen from process exhaust.
- Track and improve equipment availability through predictive and preventative measures. Support existing and develop new preventive maintenance plans and implement using existing or improved software solutions.
- Track and improve spare parts inventories to ensure high risk parts are available for both preventative and unplanned down time.
- Member of facility and equipment response team so when facilities or process equipment go down, it can be serviced and brought back online as soon as possible.
- Monitor supply purchases to ensure that supplies are ordered as necessary and stored with accuracy and organization.
- Support facility and equipment inventory tracking system.
Execution of these tasks will require day-to-day interactions with the Facilities and Equipment Manager, Operations Manager, and other Niron Engineers and Technicians.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical, Mechanical or Materials Engineering, or similar
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Equipment/Facilities/maintenance roles
- Expert equipment and facilities problem solver. Able to solve equipment/facilities problem independently
- Familiarity with chemical safety and precautions
- Strong interpersonal communication, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Strong reporting skills with ability to concisely communicate the meaning of data
- Ability to self-direct
- Curiosity mindset with willingness to learn new disciplines
- Base salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, premiums paid 100% for employees
- Equity position in Niron via stock option grant
- 401k plan with company match
- Mental healthcare support including therapeutic care
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Short and long term disability and life insurance
- Experience in a venture backed startup
For more information on Niron:
· Website: https://nironmagnetics.com/
· Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5pMEmk3CmU