Niron is seeking an R&D Technician for its Industrial Lab, located in Minneapolis, MN.
Niron Magnetics is a venture-backed start-up developing the only known magnetic material with the potential to displace widely used rare earth permanent magnets. These rare earth permanent magnets are found in electric motors, generators, sensors, actuators, and a variety of everyday machines. Unfortunately, the mining and refining of these materials incur harsh social and environmental costs.
Niron Magnetics has developed a magnetic material that is free of rare earth minerals, which eliminates the environmental damage caused by their use. Niron is comprised of a team of engineers and scientists with a desire to make a positive impact in our community.
The individual hired for this position will be joining a hardworking and dedicated team of scientists and engineers and will be responsible for the development and fabrication of magnet samples. These magnets will be used for process development and customer samples. This individual will operate analytical equipment for advanced materials analysis and safely perform R&D assignments, which involves processing, testing, analyzing, reporting results, improving methods, installing new equipment, and brainstorming solutions to problems.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
- Prepare and process magnetic nano-powders and bulk magnet samples according to advanced powder processing methods:
- Active involvement in standard and exploratory experiment design
- Routine laboratory activity to make or prep materials and test samples
- Development work with non-routine R&D assignments such as design of fixtures for experimental set-up, new experimental processes and establishing proper data acquisition
- Common chemistry lab and chemical hygiene protocols must be followed as the role requires using hazardous materials and lab and pilot machinery
- At times, fabrication steps may be performed using a glove box inert environment, which requires physical dexterity inside the glove box
- Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the magnet fabrication process must be followed to ensure stable, repeatable processing results
- Although SOPs are provided, this individual will be encouraged to suggest improvements to the procedures, develop and implement these improvements, and document them if adopted by management
- Collect and report accurate scientific and engineering data obtained from laboratory equipment and tools
- Maintain and clean laboratory work environment and equipment; submit lab supplies for procurement as needed
- Help to install new equipment and troubleshoot current equipment and instruments
- Work with a high degree of attention to workplace safety
- Technical 2-year degree in a scientific field (physics, chemistry, materials, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience in industrial or scientific lab environment
- Excellent hands-on lab skills, eye for detail and ability to operate lab equipment
- Highly collaborative, enjoys working within a diverse team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and LabVIEW
- Strong interpersonal communication, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry heavy equipment, up to 50 lb.
- Ability to follow directions and meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field or chemistry
- Experience with powder processing methods
- Experience with ISO in a manufacturing environment with understanding of the importance of following standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Academic and/or industry experience working with advanced materials
- Experience working with nanoparticles, nanomaterials or powders in a laboratory environment
- Experience using analytical instrumentation including mass balances, micrometers, optical microscopes
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical and dental insurance
- Equity position in Niron
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Experience in a venture backed startup