Reactor Process Engineer
Niron Magnetics is a company developing and launching the only known magnetic material with the potential to displace widely used rare earth permanent magnets. These rare earth permanent magnets are found in electric motors, generators, sensors, actuators, and a variety of everyday machines. They are critical to the green economy. Unfortunately, the mining and refining of these materials incur harsh social and environmental costs. Further, reliance on rare earths represents a strategic supply chain risk, vulnerable to geopolitical interference and projected supply shortages.
Niron’s Clean Earth Magnet® is free of critical materials (including rare earth elements), which eliminates the environmental damage caused by their use. It is made up of abundant commodity inputs enabling a secure supply chain. Niron is comprised of a team of engineers, scientists, and business leaders with a desire to make a positive impact in our community. We are growing our team as we commercialize the Clean Earth Magnet®.
About the Position
Niron is hiring a Reactor Process Engineer to support the scale up and qualification of iron nitride nanoparticle processes for production. The individual hired for this position will report to the Director of Production Engineering and will work closely with members of the Production Engineering, Nanoparticle R&D, and Pilot Operations teams. Opportunities for professional advancement in a rapidly growing magnet manufacturing organization will be available.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Scale up and qualify Niron's iron nitride nanoparticle processes for pilot production
- Work with R&D team to transfer iron nitride nanoparticle processes and process improvements from lab to pilot production facility
- Work closely with external vendors and internal Procurement & Equipment Engineering teams to specificy, design, procure, and qualify new production equipment
- Train, mentor, and help direct activities of pilot operators and technicians
- Manage documentation of SOPs and work instructions
- Identify and track critical process parameters using Statistical Process Control (SPC) techniques
- Develop and execute continuous improvement projects using Six Sigma tools to improve pilot production costs, cycle times, takt time, throughput, process capability, and yield
- Perform all duties according to Niron's Safety Program
Execution of these tasks will require day-to-day interactions with Niron Managers, Engineers, and Technicians, and regular reviews with Niron’s Director of Production Engineering.
- BS or higher in, Materials Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Nanotechnology, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in materials-related industry
- Strong safety mindset
- Experience transitioning new materials manufacturing processes and products from R&D to production through stage gate approach
- Familiarity with statistical methods, DOE, Six Sigma, and Lean Manufacturing
- Strong interpersonal communication, prioritization, organizational skills
- Strong reporting skills with ability to concisely communicate the meaning of data
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (less than 20%)
- Ability to lift and carry heavy equipment, up to 25 lbs.
- Working knowledge of fluidized bed reactor processes
- Experience in one or more of the following: Vacuum equipment, particle-gas reactions (particularly metal oxide reduction, nitriding), atomic layer deposition, spray drying, magnetic materials
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Statistical training in DOE and ANOVA
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, JMP/Minitab, SQL, and/or data visualization software
- Curiosity mindset with willingness to learn new disciplines
- Competitive base salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, premiums paid 100% for employees
- Equity position in Niron via stock option grant
- 401k plan with company match
- Mental healthcare support including therapeutic care
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Short and long term disability and life insurance
- Experience in a venture backed startup