Principal Process Safety Engineer
Niron Magnetics is a venture-backed pre-revenue business developing the only known magnetic material with the potential to displace widely used rare earth permanent magnets at commercial scale. These rare earth permanent magnets are found in electric motors, generators, sensors, actuators, and a variety of everyday machines. They are critical to the green economy. Unfortunately, the mining and refining of rare earth materials incur harsh social and environmental costs. Further, reliance on rare earth permanent magnets represents a strategic supply chain risk, creates a geopolitical vulnerability and creates risk of supply shortages.
Niron’s Clean Earth MagnetTM is free of critical materials (including rare earth elements), which eliminates the environmental damage caused by their use. It is made up of abundant, commodity inputs enabling a secure supply chain. Niron is comprised of a team of engineers, scientists, and business leaders with a desire to make a positive impact in our community.
Niron is supported by both the U.S. Department of Energy and the Department of Defense. Strategic investors include Volvo Cars and Western Digital Capital. Financial investors include Anzu Partners and Artiman Ventures. We are growing our production team as we prepare to commercialize the magnet.
At Niron, safety isn't just a buzzword—it's our top mission. From our leadership team right down to every individual, we're all in when it comes to keeping our employees and the community safe. Our goal? Not just to be safe for our size, but to be one of the safest companies out there in our industry.
As the Senior Process Safety Engineer with us, you're not just joining a team—you're stepping into a role ripe with opportunity. With our eyes set on significantly expanding our operations in the very near future, our EHS team is poised for growth, and this position offers a direct pathway to greater responsibilities and leadership roles. It's an exciting time to be part of Niron, especially if you're ambitious and eager to grow with us.
Your day-to-day will have you hands-on in rolling out, managing, and improving our proactive safety programs. But it's more than ticking boxes—it's about creating a culture where safety and care for our environment come as second nature. Niron is not currently a PSM facility, however, we fully anticipate falling under the requirements in the not-so-distant future. The Senior Process Safety Engineer will be responsible for building Niron’s Process Safety Program. Working closely with teams across the company, this is your chance to take all that you’ve learned in your career to create a top Process Safety Program from the ground up. Working out of our Minneapolis, MN office and reporting to our EHS Manager, you'll be a key player in a team that puts safety above everything else.
Building and Managing Process Safety Programs
- Build Niron’s Process Safety Program from the ground up.
- Champion a Culture of Process Safety excellence for the company
- Drive process safety culture improvements to reduce impacts to personnel from process hazards (such as flammable liquids, flammable gases, corrosives, hot liquids, pyrophoric powders, high pressure equipment, and combustible dusts).
- Will be involved in all aspects of PSM at the site including PSM document control, PSM Audits, and leading Process safety investigations
- Develop and implement comprehensive safety protocols for the entire company with support from the EHS & other teams
- The Senior Process Safety Engineer will be responsible for the facilitation of all Process Risk Management Processes at Niron and data collection for any Quantitative Assessment (QRA) tools, LOPA, PHA, HAZOP, HAZID, What if, etc
- Perform audits of the process safety management systems and execute risk mitigation corrective actions
- Build and maintain the Management of Change Process (MOC) and ensuring process effectiveness and compliance
- Familiarity with major regulations and industry codes and standards affecting standard design, quality, or processes
- Will provide technical expertise to site operating units to evaluate risks and cost–effectively resolve Process Safety issues
- Collaborate with operations during the design of advanced process control systems
- Select the correct mechanical integrity level for safety critical devices
- Coach and mentor employees on their responsibilities with respect to process safety.
- Help Niron implement Process Safety improvements while delivering effective and efficient Process Safety Trainings as required
- BS or MS Degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related degree is required.
- 7+ years of experience as a Process Safety Engineer, EHS Engineer, or a related role in a chemical or manufacturing environment is required
- Must have 4+ years at PSM facilities, including managing Process Safety program(s)
- Experience as a PHA Facilitator is a must
- Experience with Dust Hazard Analysis and Combustible Dust Safety a plus
- Communicates effectively with company personnel across all levels
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong Project Management track record
- Exceptional organizational skills and high consideration for detail
- Relevant certifications such as ASP, CSP, or CCPSC
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, premiums paid 100% for employees
- Equity position in Niron via stock option grant
- 401k plan with strong company match
- Mental healthcare support including therapeutic care
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance
- Low-cost onsite EV charging
- Experience in a venture backed startup