Niron Magnetics is a venture-backed start-up developing the only known magnetic material with the potential to displace widely used rare earth permanent magnets. These rare earth permanent magnets are found in electric motors, generators, sensors, actuators, and a variety of everyday machines. Unfortunately, the mining and refining of these materials incur harsh social and environmental costs.
Niron Magnetics has developed a magnetic material that is free of critical materials (including rare earth elements), which eliminates the environmental damage caused by their use. Niron is comprised of a team of engineers and scientists with a desire to make a positive impact in our community.
About the Position
Niron is seeking an Engineering Technician Lead for its Pilot Production facility, located in Minneapolis, MN. This individual will lead assets responsible for processing magnetic powders in fluidized bed reactors for Pilot Production.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Direct or perform reactions involving nanoparticles in pilot-scale fluidized bed reactors
- Provide training and guidance to other Technicians in day-to-day operations and be able to take on limited engineering roles as needed to support the Pilot Production team
- Gather, analyze, and present data to bring conclusions to Pilot Production team
- Assist Production Engineering team in analyzing product and process limitations and problems, facilitating root cause analysis, then implementing solutions
- Assist in process documentation, including SOPs, work instructions, and preventative maintenance
- Keep accurate and complete records of experiments
- Work with a high degree of attention to workplace safety
- Technical 2-year degree or greater in a technical or scientific field (i.e. engineering, vacuum and thin film technology, chemistry, or similar)
- Experience in a laboratory or production environment
- Ability to lift and carry heavy equipment, up to 50 lb.
- Ability to self-direct and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree in materials engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in an industrial environment
- Experience working with powders, nanoparticles, or nanomaterials in a laboratory or production environment
- Experience or familiarity with vacuum, semiconductor manufacturing equipment (CVD, PVD, PECVD, LPCVD, ALD, etc.), spray drying equipment, or fluidized bed reactors
- Familiarity with SPC software
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Equity position in Niron via stock option grant
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Mental healthcare
- Short and long term disability and life insurance
- Experience in a fun, high-performing, venture-backed startup