Production Lead, Oxide
Niron Magnetics is a venture-backed start-up developing the only known magnetic material with the potential to displace widely used rare earth permanent magnets. These rare earth permanent magnets are found in electric motors, generators, sensors, actuators, and a variety of everyday machines. Unfortunately, the mining and refining of these materials incur harsh social and environmental costs.
Niron Magnetics has developed a magnetic material that is free of critical materials (including rare earth elements), which eliminates the environmental damage caused by their use. Niron is comprised of a team of engineers and scientists with a desire to make a positive impact in our community.
About the Position
Niron is seeking a Lead Chemical Engineering Technician for its Pilot Production facility, located in Minneapolis, MN. This individual will lead assets responsible for advanced materials analysis and performing chemical reactions for Pilot Production.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Direct or perform water-based chemical reactions involving nanoparticles at large scales (tens to hundreds of liters)
- Operate a variety of analytical and characterization equipment to support production, engineering evaluations, and failure analysis
- Provide training and guidance to other Technicians in day-to-day operations and be able to take on limited engineering roles as needed to support the Pilot Production team
- Gather, analyze, and present data to bring conclusions to Pilot Production team
- Assist Production Engineering team in analyzing product and process limitations and problems, facilitating root cause analysis, then implementing solutions
- Assist in process documentation, including SOPs, work instructions, and preventative maintenance
- Keep accurate and complete records of experiments
- Work with a high degree of attention to workplace safety
- Participate in Niron’s Emergency Response Team
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials engineering, or related field
- Experience working with nanoparticles or nanomaterials in a laboratory or production environment
- Experience using analytical instrumentation including mass balances, conductivity meters, pH meters, particle size analyzers and/or viscometers
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry heavy equipment, up to 50 lb.
- Ability to self-direct and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with SPC software
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Equity position in Niron via stock option grant
- 401k plan with company match
- Mental healthcare support including therapeutic care
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Short and long term disability and life insurance
- Experience in a fun, high-performing, venture-backed startup