Director of Engineering
South 8 Technologies
Job Title: Director of Engineering
Location: San Diego, CA – Bay Park area
Position Type: Full-time
Experience Level: 10+ years industry experience and 4+ years managing a team.
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k, paid vacation, stock options, and a great team environment
Lead a team of engineers and technicians dedicated to packaging and production of novel battery cells. Solve complex performance, design, and operational issues to improve manufacturing processes. Oversee mechanical design, improvement, production, and testing of product and processes and lead efforts to coordinate with suppliers for equipment and materials.
Become a critical member of our fast-growing team working to develop a breakthrough battery technology to enable a greener future. In this position, you will be a key part of our core team, at the forefront of taking next-generation chemistries and packaging them into advanced battery cells.
We are looking for an experienced, creative, and hands on Director of Engineering, with excellent team and project management skills to join our growing team in the Bay Park area of San Diego, CA. The position will take both internal and external cell and product requirements and drive development of both product and equipment hardware and controls systems. The candidate will take lead on vendor management and ensure timely delivery of parts and equipment. Team and project management skills are a must while also taking a hands-on lead on certain projects. Leading and promoting the use and completion of DFMEAs, project organization, scheduling and planning tools are required. This is a dynamic work environment with several parallel projects with various timelines.
Technical knowledge of design for high-pressure systems, hermetic sealing, laser welding and other weld techniques, o-ring sealing systems, metal forming/stamping, and plastic extrusion is required. Knowledge of battery cell assembly, manufacturing processes, and systems controls is highly desired.
• Manage team and material resources in mechanical engineering, design, and manufacturing to meet project deadlines and budgets.
• Provide regular updates to management through detailed Gantt charts and/or timelines and project presentation updates. Clear communication with company stakeholders is key.
• Lead regular design reviews and DFMEA analysis on projects.
• Contribute heavily to team creativity and guidance on various projects while ensuring focus on project requirements and meeting company timelines.
• Check technical accuracy of work, oversee design and equipment related technical details.
• Interface directly with vendors and machinists to place and track order progress.
• Estimate future manufacturing requirements, production, and performance data.
• Guide and motivate team by providing data-driven technical direction.
• Contribute to technical writing of grants, patents, and reports.
• Work independently and efficiently to reach goals within target timelines.
• Other tasks deemed necessary by the company.
• Deliver epic High Fives
• 10+ years of industry experience with 4+ years of management experience
• Demonstrated team and project management skills taking a technology from idea to product.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and succeed in an environment with competing demands.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience in patent ideation and draft writing
• Experience using SolidWorks CAD modeling and analysis software to create 3D models and 2D engineering drawings, including the ability to understand and apply GD&T methodology.
• Demonstrated manufacturing experience is a must (machining, sheet metal, soldering, plating, welding techniques and materials such as plastics, metals, etc.)
• Demonstrated knowledge of DFM, GD&T, FEA, CAD, and drawing standards
• Sufficient knowledge of automation and controls systems in order to guide engineers on projects.
• Understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals: properties of materials, solid mechanics, design failure risk analysis, mechanical testing, and technical documentation
• Experience in bringing design ideas to concept prototyping.
• An aptitude for learning new things and a keen eye for improving processes.
• Ability to lift 35 lbs.
ABOUT SOUTH 8 TECHNOLOGIES
South 8 Technologies, Inc. is a fast growing and well-funded group backed by leading global organizations. We have developed a breakthrough new Liquefied Gas Electrolyte chemistry for next-generation lithium batteries. Our patented technology enables a substantial increase in energy, improved safety, and an exceptionally wide operating temperature. Leveraging conventional materials and manufacturing, South 8 Technologies offers a unique solution for a variety of e-mobility, energy storage, and industrial applications.
South 8 Technologies, Inc. was founded in 2015 and spun out of UC San Diego’s Jacobs School of Engineering. We are a diverse team, which values integrity and hard work in an environment that encourages creative thinking, collaboration, and honest feedback. Become a critical member of our team and grow alongside us as we transform the energy landscape.
Candidates may apply by sending resume to email@example.com.
Candidates only – we will not respond to inquiries from third-party recruiters.
South 8 Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.